The Bird River is a truly spectacular trip that takes in all the best that Nopiming park has to offer. The trip goes from Tulabi falls and travels along the Bird River, going through some of Nopiming’s beautiful and remote lakes along the way ... More info ›
The Bird River is a truly spectacular trip that takes in all the best that Nopiming park has to offer. The trip goes from Tulabi falls and travels along the Bird River, going through some of Nopiming’s beautiful and remote lakes along the way.
Each day you can expect a delicious breakfast prepared by your guide, followed by some time to relax and enjoy the views while drinking your morning coffee or tea. Once we pack up, we'll get on the water and paddle for about 1.5 to 2 hours before finding a spot for a lunch break, as well as swimming if anyone wants to cool off. After lunch we will continue paddling for another 2 to 3 hours and then settle down at our spot for the evening. The only exception is day one, when we try to put in a bit more distance and will likely be paddling for 3 hours after lunch. At our site, your guide will teach everyone about the basics of clean and responsible camping and help with site setup along every step of the way. You can choose any number of ways to enjoy your time at the site, including swimming, hiking, picking blueberries, or just chatting around the fire. Your guide will prepare a delicious camp dinner, and fire roasted s'mores are always on the menu for dessert!
Trip Difficulty: Beginner
This trip is rated for beginner paddlers. We only paddle on small lakes with no moving water, and we never paddle longer than 15 kms in one day. At the beginning of your trip we will teach you some paddling basics and make sure you learn the basic skills needed to make your trip a success.
This trip has medium length portages. You are expected to help carry equipment along the portages, but you are never expected to carry more than you feel comfortable with.
Once at camp, guests share in the duties of setting up and maintaining the campsite. This includes setting up tents, collecting firewood, and packing up sleeping bags and sleeping mats.
1. The waiver, and medical info form will be sent to you after booking and need to be filled out and signed to go on the trip
2. Our trips depart from the Winnipeg Canoe Kayak Centre at 80 Churchill Drive (just across from Churchill High School). There is street parking available in front of the centre.
3. We will meet at the centre at 9:00am Sunday morning, aiming to leave at 9:30am.
4. We will return to Winnipeg mid-afternoon on Wednesday. Roughly between 4 and 6.
5. You only need to bring what is mentioned on the packing list. Anything else is provided by us. We have boats, paddles, lifejackets, gear, food, tents, sleeping bags/mats, and a passenger van to transport you from Winnipeg to Nopiming Park
6. We are outdoors for our entire trip. We camp in tents and spend our days on the water and around the campsites. Be prepared for rain, sun, bugs, and hot and cold weather. Sunscreen, bug-spray, rain-jackets, and 1 or 2 warm sweaters are recommended depending on forecast (check packing list below)